Church of St. John of Nepomuk on the Rock
(Czech: Kostel sv. Jana Nepomuckého Na Skalce)
The Church of St. John of Nepomuk on the Rock was built from 1730 till 1739 near Karlovo Square by Prague baroque architect Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer.
The Church is an important high Baroque monument and it’s altar features a statue of John of Nepomuk from 1682 by Jan Brokoff (The wooden model for the statue on the Charles Bridge).
On the site of the church in 1691 a small wooden chapel was established in memory of John Nepomuk. The chapel was gradually enlarged, as much as the steep slope would allow, until in 1730, a year after the saint’s canonization.
New Town, Vyšehradská, Prague
Suggested Duration: one hour trip